Saturday, November 3, 2012

Anxiously waiting for Monday

Why would anyone want to see Monday roll around?

One reason, the kids and the husband go back to school/work leaving me with the princess so that I can actually enjoy a little peace and quiet.

Second reason, I need to make sure that the weight loss center has all my paper work and for them to answer a few questions.

Perhaps some of you can help answer my main question.

You see, when I started this journey back in May I was about 225, I never really weighed myself for good reason- the mirror spoke volumes but today I caved and bought a scale and I've actually lost weight; not too much but I haven't been "actively" trying. I've cut out soda, caffeine and stopped my evening bowls of ice cream but I have not changed anything else- still too much pain in my back and laziness on my part to actually exercise. I'm afraid that if I lose too much weight I will no longer be a candidate for surgery. Is my fear justified? Should I hit the drive through to "bulk up"?
I have my share of medical issues including depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, sleep apnea and hypothyroidism to name a few - will the medical issues outweigh the weight loss, no matter how small I have had?

Don't get me wrong- I want to lose weight, but really, out of all the times in the past that I have sweated buckets and ate only salads to never see a change now when I am so close to getting the weapon to help knock out the fat do I actually lose weight.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

2 comments:

  1. I started my journey back in April and was banded 3 weeks ago. I started at 257. I was a smoker and my doctor made me quit before he would do surgery. I gained 15 lbs when I quit putting me at my all time high weight of 274 by April. I had to take 6 months of nutrition classes and I kept saying I would drop a few lbs next month. At that point I decided I had to do something. My doctor had also told me that it would be good to shed a few lbs to get in the habit and start doing something. So I started swimming. It's low impact. You're doctor's office should be able to tell you how much weight you can safely lose to stay qualified. I only lost 9 lbs before surgery but I think it was good for me to do something. Just to get into the habit of moving. If you could maintain where you are that might be good too... I am enjoying your blog....Keep it up! It's been great for me so far! I look forward to the road ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this same fear/predicament. I would rely on the advice at your surgeons office. The insurance coordinator at my office told me that my insurance company uses the weight I started with at the beginning of my 6 month doctor supervised weight loss program. I wasted 3 months of that time trying not to lose (funny how that becomes hard!) before I called her. Then I probably waited 2 weeks before I decided to trust her advice. Ultimately, I was still banded at 37.1 BMI with no co-morbidities. Good Luck! I am following your journey now!

    ReplyDelete