Thursday, May 23, 2013

worst mom ever

I swore I would never harp on my kids about their weight. I figured I would go the other route, buy better foods, no more cookies or sugary snacks.... I know I shouldn't be buying it anyways. Well tonight I had my son (the older of my two boys by 1 min) get on the scale so I could finish up the paperwork for his doctors appointment tomorrow. He is 11 and he weighs 173!?!?!? Earlier this year he got on the scale and it was 143... I don't exactly remember when that was but I remember it because I thought that that was the weight that I wanted to be. So since the beginning of the year my son has gained 30 pounds..... taking him to 50 pounds more than his twin brother.
I hated all those times my mother talked to me about my weight- it broke me down and made me feel like I wasn't loved because I was fat and now I feel I am doing that to my son.
I feel like I am the worst mom in the world for having talked to him about this. Have you had to talk to your kids about their weight? How did you do it?
I plan on no longer buying the sugary sweet stuff that I normally purchase, not that its a lot but it's a start. Now I have to get him moving.
I feel crushed for having said anything and I know he does too. I don't know what else to do....
well that's all for now thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. I have wondered how I will handle this...and actually thought much about it before getting surgery and how I wanted to improve my life and then be a better example for my kids.... but heaven knows it hasn't been exactly what I expected!
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch, that must hae tough. I don't have kids, so don't know how you would do this. I remember it happening to me though, and it is tough. Getting him moving and taking away the sweets from the house is a good plan. I'm sure you did it with as much love as is possible, keep at it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heart breaking...I am sorry you had to face this with your boy. I would just tell him that you (of all people) know it is a difficult subject. Tell him though, that you love him too much to ignore a health issue. It doesn't change how you feel about him in the least, but you are a mom, programmed to worry. I am sure he will understand the spirit with which you addressed it with him. Ask him if it bothers him and if he wants help to address it.

    ReplyDelete