Friday, January 18, 2013

I came out!

Yesterday I took a big step and posted on FB that I had been banded. I wasn't expecting anyone to judge me or criticize me or anything, I'm not really sure what I was expecting but I wasn't expecting my friends and family to be so supportive, saying that they were proud of me and that I was an inspiration and motivation for them. I have never thought of myself to be motivation for anyone or to be an inspiration - talk about pressure.
It got me thinking about what my motivation is- I don't have a goal weight in mind or a dress size or anything like that- what motivates me is my husband and kids. I want to make sure that I am around for a very long time. I am also motivated by the thought of not having to take medications.
Lap Band Gal motivated me to blog my journey and through her blog I have found other blogs to follow, all of which motivate and inspire me to keep going- we are all in this game we call life and it makes it a little easier if we have friends who are playing along with the same rules that we are playing with.
So who or what is your motivation/inspiration?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't come out on FB yet. How did you do that? I have told lots of people. But not everyone. Lapband Gal is a great inspiration to blog I agree. Love that picture. I am going to steal it and post it on my FB :) What inspires me??? My brother told me he wanted me around for a while. I'd never thought about it. I was just sick and tired of what I saw when I looked in the mirror. And even though I am not there yet. I enjoy looking in the mirror a bit more now. I have never been a self praiser. So working on myself has been difficult to do. Your blog is inspirational. And its great that total strangers can come together like this.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @banded strong - I put together that pipctured from a bunch of motivational posters I found on Pinterest, it is my screen saver I love it so much :)
    here's a copy of the blurb I posted on FB where I "came out"

    Last year I went to a weight loss surgery seminar as support for a friend of mine and ended up finding out that my insurance would actually cover me. So after months of jumping through hoops for the insurance and doing my own research I decided to get lap band. And on November 27th I was banded. For those who think that this is the easy way out - first off I didn't ask you, and second nothing about losing weight is easy. I am only telling ya'll this because I have kept it mainly to myself and a few friends who I knew would be supportive; but today I was talking with a few moms and I told them I had it done and I felt good about telling them. It was kind of liberating to tell people. I'm not ashamed about having it- those who know me know that I have always been heavy but it was starting to affect my health and I decided I needed help. The band is not a miracle pill or a fad diet- it is a tool to help me not a device that does all the work for me. I still have to eat right and exercise and as easy as that sounds for some of you it's not always that easy for those who have a weight problem. I'm not looking for your support, but it would be nice. I do not want your criticism but compliments are encouraged and generously accepted. I have already lost 23 pounds and have been taken off 2 medications already. So why "come out" because honestly, have I ever been able to keep a secret about myself? So there ya have it, I am a "bandster". If you have any questions about it feel free to ask, I have nothing to hide, just don't be rude.

    ReplyDelete